Let’s talk let’s connect | LTLC0103 | June 26, 2020 | Tips on shortfilm making | Kowshika Padmanaban
Cinema is a medium which brings Gods and emperors and the whole universe is presented to every corners of the world.
Short film is Cinema which can be made even by common man with good dedication and proper knowledge.
The process of making short films was taught ably by Kowshika Padmanabhan, a national award winning short film maker.
Short film –Making
Short film making process is of 3 stages
- Pre- production
- Post -production
Pre production : This stage is where the mind and brains of the director is needed.
- This is where finalizing the story and the budgeting of the film takes place
- Forming a new company and breaking down the script
- Scouting and securing locations
- Confirmation of the cast and crew
- Getting shoot permits and scheduling plans
- Arranging for rentals takes place.
The total planning and execution of the director comes to the fore here.
- This process involves the actual shooting
- Rehearsals of shooting is also done for more efficiency and for more perfectionism
- This process involves sound mixing, vfx addition and colour correction
- Editing is done & trailer is made
ZERO BUDGET FILM MAKING
- Kowshika ,then explained trade secrets on how a short film can be made at zero budget.
- On How a storyteller can weave the magic on the viewers with their good story, screenplay and story setting.
- She explained how even Hollywood movie series like Paranormal activity series and movies like reservoir dogs ,she’s gotta have it have restricted the budget to a limited level through limited locations.
- Even on image capture level even movies and short films are nowadays shot through mobiles itself..You have a good camera ready at your hands!!!
- When it comes to adding the music score and bgm to the movie,we can either get it by composing it ourself or through friends of friends in the industry or through an unsigned band.
SHORT FILM BY OURSELF- FOR FREE!!!!!
Do you know that you can make films all by yourself??? AT 0 BUDGET!! WOAHHH!!!
These should be the cases then:
- Telling our film through pictures and editing and adding sound effects, bgm etc
- Making 3d or 2d animation movies… just you need animation creation skills!
- Just take out a camera and make a documentary or a docudrama!!
- You can also go for other options like montages or experimental movies or make silent films or you can combine all of the above
Marketing your films
Without proper marketing,the real value of project may not get the deserved wide reach .
To Market your films:
- Create a website and have stuffs posted about your movie
- Keep a journal as a handy promotional tool
- Have a press release in the form of social media to have an attractive way of promoting to stay ahead of contempories…
- Sites like Ababo, cineshorts, HumaraMovie can be easily approached where they try to develop a band of independent filmmakers..
So??? What’s stopping you guys?? Go ahead and pursue your dream… you director!!!!
To Host/Participate a session, Register @ bit.ly/lets-talk-lets-connect
To find all other upcoming sessions, here @ bit.ly/open-sessions